location: 313 Akasofu Building
email: xdz iarc [dot] uaf [dot] edu
- Impact of Storm Activity on Recent Changes in Arctic Sea Ice Mass Balance, funded by the National Science Foundation
- The Arctic Springtime Transition: Dynamics, Impacts, and Future Changes, funded by the National Science Foundation
- Beaufort and Chukchi Seas Meso-scale Meteorological Modeling Study, funded by the Department of Interior/Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
- Arctic Climate Study: Storm Activity and Atmosphere-Sea Ice-Ocean Interactions, funded by the Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology
- Assessing and Understanding Variability, Changes, and Uncertainties of Arctic and Antarctic Sea Ice in the IPCC AR5 Climate Model Simulations, funded by the Office of Naval Research
- North Pacific Storm Activity and its Responsive and Active Connections with Large-scale Atmosphere-Ocean Interactions and Global Warming, funded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- International Workshop: Rapid Change in Arctic Sea Ice: Assessing Drivers and Future Trajectories, funded by the World Climate Research Programme and the National Science Foundation
- PACMAN - Cyberinfrastructure for Discovering Climate Change Impacts on Water Resources across Alaska and the Hawaiian Islands, funded by the National Science Foundation
- Weather extremes in the present and projected future climate
- Arctic freshwater and sea ice and their roles in global climate
- Development of climate model and improvement of physical treatments
Storm Track Dynamics
Animations of Arctic Sea Ice Coverage Simulated and Projected by the IPCC AR4 Climate Models
- Arctic Sea Ice Coverage simulated and projected by the IPCC Climate Models From 1900-2100: Part A: Summer Minimum Sea Ice Cover
- Arctic Sea Ice Coverage simulated and projected by the IPCC Climate Models From 1900-2100: Part B: Winter Maximum Sea Ice Cover
Arctic Rapid change Pattern (ARP) and ARP Index
Weather Forecast and Regional Data
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, Nanjing University
- ATM 644/444: Synoptic Analysis and Forecasting
- ATM 613/413: Atmospheric Radiation
- ATM 621: Introduction to Computational Meteorology
- ATM 697: Arctic Water and Energy Cycle
- Editorial Board member, Scientific Reports, Nature Publishing Group
- Editor, Advances in Atmospheric Sciences, Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Science
- Member, Phenomena, Observations and Synthesis (POS) Panel, the US Climate Variability and Predictability (CLIVAR) Program
- Member, Arctic Environmental Science Review Panel, National Science Foundation
- Member, Oversight Panel for the Arctic Ocean Model Intercomparison Project (AOMIP), Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- Workshop on Chukchi-Beaufort Seas High Resolution Meteorological Modeling Study and Atmospheric Reanalysis
- Chukchi/Beaufort Seas Mesoscale Meteorology Study Midterm Project Meeting
- Rapid Change in Arctic Sea Ice: Assessing Drivers and Future Trajectories
Research in the News and Highlights
- El Niño intensifies and shifts winter and spring storms, Physics Today, Oct. 7, 2013
- Atmospheric science: Wetting the Arctic, by Tara J. Troy, News and Views, Nature Climate Change, 3, 17–18, doi:10.1038/nclimate1790, Jan. 2013
- Climate change brings colder winters to Europe and Asia, environmental research web, Jan. 23, 2013
- Arctic ice low heralds end of 3-million-year cover, New Scientist, Aug. 31, 2012 (subscribers only)
- Atmospheric Dynamics and their Role in the Changing Arctic Climate System, Witness the Arctic, 16, 3, Fall 2012.
- Strong Summer Cyclone Churns Over the Arctic, Earth Observatory, NASA, Aug. 2012.
- Increased arctic wetting, Nature Climate Change, Jul. 30, 2012
- Wetter arctic cloud influence climate change, study finds, Science Daily, Sep. 5, 2012
- On thin ice. By Susan McGrath, National Geographic, 64-75, July 2011
- Errors and lies thrive in cold weather. By Michael Le Page, New Scientist, 2743, 20-21, Jan. 14, 2010 (subscribers only)
- A harsh new reality transforms the Arctic. By Paul Koberstein. Cascadia Times, 2009
- Remarkable Change in Arctic Atmospheric Circulation: Have We Passed a Tipping Point? By Johnna Rook. Dec. 7, 2008
- Fast-Forward Warming, Point of No Return for the Arctic Climate? By Volker Mrasek,Spiegel Online International, Dec. 4, 2008
- Vanishing Sea Ice, Life at Edge. By Paul Nicklen, National Geographic, 32-71, June 2007
- Intensifying Arctic Cyclone Activity, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society, 85, 7, 949-950, July 2004
- Zhang, X., J. He, J. Zhang, I. Polaykov, R. Gerdes, J. Inoue, and P. Wu, 2013: Enhanced poleward moisture transport and amplified northern high-latitude wetting trend. Nature Clim. Change, 3, 47-51, doi: 10.1038/NCLIMATE1631.
- Basu, S., X. Zhang, I. Polyakov, and U. S. Bhatt, 2013: North American winter-spring storms: Modeling investigation on tropical Pacific sea surface temperature impacts. Geophys. Res. Lett., doi: 10.1002/grl.50990.
- Zhang, X., C. Lu, and Z. Guan, 2012: Weakened cyclones, intensified anticyclones and recent extreme cold winter weather events in Eurasia. Environ. Res. Lett., 7, 044044, doi: 10.1088/1748-9326/7/4/044044.
- Zhang, X., 2010: Sensitivity of Arctic summer sea ice coverage to global warming forcing: Toward reducing uncertainty in Arctic climate change projections. Tellus A, 62, 220-227, doi:10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00441.x.
- Zhang, X., A. Sorteberg, J. Zhang, R. Gerdes, and J. C. Comiso, 2008: Recent radical shifts in atmospheric circulations and rapid changes in Arctic climate system. Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L22701, doi:10.1029/2008GL035607.
- Zhang, X., and J. E. Walsh, 2006: Toward a seasonally ice-covered Arctic Ocean: Scenarios from the IPCC AR4 model simulations. J. Climate, 19, 1730-1747.
- Zhang, X., J. E. Walsh, J. Zhang, U. S. Bhatt, and M. Ikeda, 2004: Climatology and interannual variability of Arctic cyclone activity, 1948-2002. J. Climate, 17, 2300-2317.
- Zhao, P., X. Zhang, X. Zhou, M. Ikeda, and Y. Yin, 2004: Sea-ice extent anomaly in the North Pacific and its impact on the East Asian summer monsoon rainfall, J. Climate, 17, 3434-3447.
- Zhang, X., M. Ikeda, and J. E. Walsh, 2003: Arctic sea-ice and freshwater changes driven by the atmospheric leading mode in a coupled sea ice-ocean model. J. Climate, 16, 2159-2177.
- Zhang, X., and J. Zhang, 2001: Heat and freshwater budgets and their pathways in the Arctic Mediterranean in a coupled Arctic Ocean/Sea-ice model. J. Oceanogr. 57, 207-234.